10 Theories for the Fall of Rome

walks-inside-romeEvaluate the 10 theories historians have identified that led to the fall of Rome. In three or four sentences tell me which theory you believe contributed most in Rome’s fall. Why? (give at least two reasons why you chose this theory for your response)

89 thoughts on “10 Theories for the Fall of Rome”

1. I think the theory that contributed the most in the Fall Of Rome was the excessive military spending. The reasons i think that was the cause because when you think about it, if you take all the citizens of Rome`s money and spend it only towards the military fund, that would lead up to no resources for the cities. Which means they can`t build new roads, buildings, aqueducts etc.

2. I believe what contributed the most to Rome’s fall is the Environmental and Public Health Problems. I believe it was this category because a vast majority of Romans were drinking water out of lead pipes and when the water flowed out of the pipes small pieces of lead was carried through with the water. I also believe it was this reason because most of the Romans ate with lead utensils and since lead is poisonous all the lead put into their mouths and on their tongues could have killed them, as well as once they put their forks into the food they were going to eat the fork could have chipped off and the lead was in the food.

3. The Theory I believe effected the Fall of Rome the most is Theory 4, Excessive Military Spending To Defend The Empire. I believe that this caused the fall of Rome because, if you spend all of the money on Military, you would have no money for water or repairs. Since the government had no money, they had to raise taxes. When they had to raise taxes people ran out of money and starved. When they had no money, their army lost the will to fight, which led to Rome losing all of their land.

4. I think that the environmental and health problems were one of the big reasons on how Rome fell, because, people drank water that had lots of lead polluting their water, and most of their everyday objects were made out of lead.

5. The one I believe is the leaders were fight that the lead pipe with water were going into their homes and they cook with lead.I made this choice because lead are dangerous and they have poison on them.Lead are also real.

6. I think the most contributed fall in Rome was probably their environmental and health problems. I think this because like right now in America, there is Ebola. They might of had something like Ebola in Rome and that’s why I think it fell. I also think why Rome fell for their environmental and health problems because there was a lot construction going on at the time and I think that some people were allergic to dust and they might have died off maybe their allergic reaction.

7. In my opinion I think Barbarian Invasions was the main contribution of the downfall of the roman empire. I think this because said in the ”article” the Roman border was attacked by the German barbarians. I also think this because general Odovacar over threw the last of the roman emperor and made himself ruler.

8. I think it was the led pipe for the water in Rome.
    When the emperor of Rome drank the water he was really sick. Also it killed many many people in Rome.

9. I think that the Barbarian Invasion was the main reason on the fall of Rome and because the Roman soldiers left to take more land and left the border Open for attack and because of that the Germanic army went for the attack and got in and conquered some parts of the Roman Empire and that’s why the Barbarian Invasion was the most Brutal.

10. well they probably just didn’t have medal so that’s why they had to use led weather it was for the house roofing or something medal that we have these days I made made this choice to my answer because when we were doing our paper work there were some information about how they used led those days and people probably still use led for many other things. Also, led can be poison and water goes through them.

11. What do I believe was the fall of rome . Mostly the Millatary spending because they spent a lot of money to protect themselves from barbarian attacks … Which was a huge drain on the goverment. Also the inflation was a downfall they spent gold on luxary items which made coins unvauble.

12. The fall of roman’s is when did it fall like 400 years ago. Then the roman’s got attacked so the roman’s found a new place to live and try to win all of the raids.

13. I think that fall of Rome was because of the Urban Decay. One reason i made this choice was because they said that the poorest people had to stay on the highest floor for $40 dollars a year which was hot, dirty, crowded, and dangerous. My second reason was that if they couldn’t afford the apartments (other known as islands) then they would be kicked out onto the crime infested street.

14. The theory I think is what caused the fall of Rome is the Excessive Military Spending to Defend the Empire. Why I think it is this one is because the empire was using the roman’s taxes for his armies which constantly drains the government and the roman’s lost their desire to to defend the empire.

15. I think spending too much on the military contributed a lot to the fall of Rome. I think this because they spent to much on the military. Some people didn’t get paid and they weren’t able to get some resources.

16. I believe what contributed most in Rome’s fall was their health because they were dealing with a lot of led poising and they also was using utensils that has to deal with led. It is like the same thing as drugs killing your insides that’s why they have health problems and also they put led in their food in drinks that is also a serious problem to me that contributed most in Rome’s fall.

17. I believe the theory of Excessive Military Spending to defend the Empire. Because of paying to much to foreign countries for military after their army lost interest in protecting Rome.

18. I think that enviormental and public health problems led the most to the fall of Rome because the Romans were constantly taking over land and with that new desises came and killed many people. The other thing is lead poisning because only the rich could pay for lead pipes.

19. In my opinion I believe that the theory that lead to the fall of Rome was, Urban Decay. I chose this one because many people didn’t have jobs which either had to live in the Roman streets or in small apartment homes. Also, Romans couldn’t afford wealthy homes because coins used gold and the Romans didn’t have that much gold to make coins. So I think this lead to the fall of the Roman Empire.

20. I think that unemployment is the biggest reason because there were less farmers to produce goods. Produce decreased for everyone, that meant less food to eat and that might mean higher food prices. Also the emperor had to give grains for the unemployed.

21. I think the Roman Empire fell apart because of the Barbarian attacks. I think this because many theories were based on this. also this theory made more sense to me

22. The theory I thought that contributed most to Rome’s fall was the enviornmental and health problems because from other theories they talked a lot about dirty and dangerous streets… and the lead in the aqueduct piping material that bled into the water… the people of rome were killed off by consuming the lead too…

23. I believe that the Environmental and Public health problems contributed most to the fall of Rome because, lead pipes brang water to wealthy homes. So the leaders of Rome were killed by consuming a lot of lead. And the wealthy Romans also used lead utensils. So the Roman population dropped and dropped until the poor Romans got sick from consuming the bacteria infested water from the bodies of water they have access to.

24. the inflation because once the Romans stopped conquering lands the flow of gold from the roman economy decreased. Also they increased prices and taxes.

25. I think the biggest reason for the fall of Rome was Political corruption. I think this because the Emperor’s Guard had the final say for who the next Emperor would be. Then, the Emperor was strangled in 186 A.D. so, they didn’t use that system anymore. Then, the Emperor’s throne was sold to the highest bidder. Anyone could have the throne, qualified or not. This is a big problem in my oppinion

26. The theory that I believe that contributed the most to Romes fall inflation because a lot of people wasted money on roman luxury that was not necessary.

27. the barbarins are a pepole and they conqerd many places. they left there borders openand they came in. if they would have stayed therenthey could have won

28. I believe that the romans have been killed by either war or disease because those two seem like the most likely thing to cause the fall of Rome. War was a big thing in Rome because they thought they were descendants of the god Mars but it would turn out that while they were fighting in a civil war a barbarian king raided the empire and did large amounts of damage and leaving them vulnerable to other armys.

29. The theory I believe about the fall of the Roman empire was the Environmental and Public Health issue theory. I believe this theory because people can be poisoned or killed off by eating led. Also, the could have also died from using lead utensils.

30. There were multiple different reasons for the fall of Rome that i considered the main reasons but the barbarians really made the most sense to me. Mainly because the barbarians like general kahn and ovardois were very strong and ruthless leaders and losing all of the roman soldiers was a huge impact on the people and a very big opportunity for the barbarians. It was a opportunity the barbarians took and i believe that is why Rome fell because you cant fight without protection.

31. I believe the theory that the fall of Rome was due to Excessive Military spending to defend the empire. I think this one is true because when frustrated Roman’s stopped defending the empire and the army got too expensive so they couldn’t afford to keep their army. They stopped defending and that allowed other troops to invade Rome.

32. I think that the theory that contributed the most in the fall of Rome is Barbarian Invasions. I think this because during the third century A.D. the Roman boarder was left open and anyone could have come in and take over their land. And the Germanic hunters and herders from northern and central Europe began to raid and eventually overthrew the last of the Roman emperors

33. I think that the barbarian attack was the most important thing that lead to the romans fall. I think it was the most important because when the barbarians took over the romans gave up on defending the empire. If the romans had not went to fight in the civil war I think that they would of had a better chance of defending the roman empire.

34. I believe that the Roman Empire fell because of inflation cause that means that everything costs more money and the Roman citizens had little money to start with.

35. – Environmental & Health Problems

Their health & environment problems help with the fall of the Roman empire. Since they made their pipes, and utensils out of lead they were consuming lead. As they were consuming the lead they were gaining lead poisoning which increased the death rate.

36. I think the Excessive Military Spending to Defend the Empire is the most contributed thing to the Roman Fall. I think that because the military does cost a lot of money and the Empire couldn’t keep up with trying to afford their own Empire things and land. Also because if you can’t afford your own empire because you are too busy spending stuff on the military, your land could be bought and your people will all die.

37. The theory I think contributed the most to Rome’s fall is Decline in Morals and Values. I believe this because many inhabitants of Rome became very aggressive and violent, and they eventually killed people. Also, some emperors wasted money on luxurious parties and had many people fight to the death in the Colosseum. Overall, life became dangerous to live in Rome and I believe this led to the fall of Rome.

38. i Think it was the inflamation of all of the prices they raised because the romans spent too much money on the military and they didn’t spend as much on other vital things like housing an maintaining the roads.

39. I think barbarian Invasions contributed the most to the fall of Rome because once general Odava conquered Rome everything began to fall in the empire. When Odava conquered rome the buildings, aqueducts, and everything weren’t maintained and soon they would break. The barbarians didn’t see the roman empire as the romans did. He didn’t want anything to be like the romans.

40. It was the the money. The thing that lead to the fall of rome was the money issue that they have with them wasting money and having none when they need it so much. The prices went up the people were poor and could not eat and had to live on the streets.

41. i think that that the fall for roman for me would be the inflation because roman suffered from inflation. The other reason why i piked that is because they stopped concerning new land and thats it.

42. The theory i believe that contributed most to the fall of Rome was the Barbarian Invasions. I think it was the Barbarian Invasions because Roman soldiers left the border to fight in civil wars. The border has no soldiers to protect Rome. The Germanic barbarians became to raid and took over Greece and Gaul (modern day France). Then Odovacar conquered the Italian peninsula and became the ruler. Rome began to fall and that is why I think the fall of Rome was because of Barbarian Invasions.

43. Out of all the 10 theories I read, I believe the main reason why the Roman Empire fell was because of Environmental and Health Issues in the economy. Health is a very important thing in a person’s life and that also includes where they live. By health, I also mean diseases that might be going around. Some diseases are very deadly and they can kill a person especially a person in the Roman Era. It also depends on the types of food people eat and what they drink and where they get theses resources. In Ancient Rome water was contaminated with all kinds of toxic wastes. Water also went through lead pipes that mixed in lead and they built utensils and pots from lead which also contaminated their food. Thats why I chose that theory.

44. Out of the ten main theories, I feel that the “Barbarian Invasions”, because of all the theories this one showed up in almost all of the others and caused the most trouble and disruption to the empire.

45. Excessive military because the soldiers lost their desire to defend the empire. The emperors raised the taxes. An army was not only unreliable, but very expensive.

46. I think that the Romans had to much lead. The romans got a whole bunch of lead from there pipes and what they ate with. They also drank from the water that had sewer and dead people.

47. I thought that Decline in morals and Values was telling me more about the led in the water because it was talking about it like it had led on the pole and they though bodys and jouk food

48. I believe that the rise in Christianity was the largest role in the fall of Rome. My first reason for this is that as the barbarians were attacking many Romans became pacifists (pacifist- a person who doesn’t like to fight) due to Christianity. My second reason is because money that could’ve been used to support the empire was used to build new churches and monasteries.

49. The one thing i liked the most was when was talking about the military spending left few resource for other vital activities . I choose this because i want to be in the military…..

50. I think that inflation is the main reason for the fall of Rome. I think this because it seems to be more about the money. They cannot pay people to work for them as much as they used to. If they do then the price if the things they sell or trade are going to go up. To me this is why the fall of Rome happened.

51. I think that the main reason for the fall of Rome is the government spending. I think this because is the government spends to much money than they would have to raise taxes and take away more money from the people. And when taxes go up people would have to raise their prices leaving the poor to starve.

52. To me, I think that the fault of the fall of Rome was the Barbarian Attack. I think this because the Barbarians attack nearly the whole Empire. But, I also believe that it was the Roman’s fault because they were the ones who left the border
    un-gaurded.

53. I feel that political corruption had a very big impact on the fall of Rome because there was not a fair way to pick there emperor. Them not being able to pick there emperor lead to assacination of the emperors. The emperors did not know how to lead : they needed better leadership

54. I think the fall of Rome is because, of health condition. I think the health condition was the reason of the fall of Rome because, there was lead in the pipes and the utensils and their water was contaminated because, of their sewage.

55. i would say it was the barbarian ataks because there were alot beacse there were alot of wars. The fall of Rome was just a big war and they got defeated. Alos it was the river it was full of waste and other stuff so they couln’t drink it. I chose this because i thought it was the most possible way and there were a lot of wars between Rome.

56. I think the theory that was the most effective was the enviormental and Public health problems,because without public health you can get sick and have more chance of dieying,and you wouldnt have the treatment you need.

57. I think it could have been the public health problems in Rome. The notes say that most of Rome’s richest and most needed people, like rulers, died because of lead consumption. Then that brings in my second reason Rome fell. Political corruption! After most of Rome’s emperors were dead, People began to pay to sit in the thrown. They started to bid to be Rome’s ruler. The army had to kill any bad kings in the thrown.

58. I think what led to the fall of Rome’s was Urban Decay because as more and more people started to live in small old and crowded apartment rooms, the more the apartment building was damaged. And as the building becomes weaker and weaker I believe the building will either fall or be damaged, then there would be hundreds of Roman’s on the street with no himes/shelter.

59. I think that enunployment was the most importand reason to the fall of rome. Because without peoole inployed people become poor an less stuff are made like: houses for poor to live in and More aquaducks or baths and much more that not only the poor needed.

60. I think that the theory, Environmental and Public Health Problems contributed the most on the Fall of Rome. The reason why I think this is because tons of leaders were killed by massive amounts of lead and because of that the population was decreasing. Also, because only the wealthy was allowed to have lead pipes. So, that meant that they could kill anyone anytime they wanted to, so the death rate greatly increased, while the population decreased.the reason why i chose this theory is because I care and like learning about the environment and health.

61. I think the barbaric invasions lead to the fall of Rome. I think this because the Romans left their post at the border to help in the Civil War that was going on in Rome. The Barbarians started to break their way into Rome after the soldiers left their posts. After the Barbarians got into Rome they made their way all the way into Italy.

62. Period 2B
    I believe that barbarians were the reason Rome fell. The Romans were at war with themselves, right? With them being at war with each other, that means that their guards were pulled back. With no one to keep an eye on the barbarians, they could have slipped in and slain the unsuspecting Romans. It would be easy because the Romans would be dealing with another force, and having yet another force with possibly more troops, they would be utterly destroyed. And with more troops, they could easily have overpowered the remaining competition.

63. One theory I think is true is the barbarian attacks. I think this is the biggest reason Rome fell was because when the army left one side to fight in civil wars the barbarians attack the spot the army left. Also I think this is the biggest reason Rome fell was because the barbarians pushed very far and it reached Italy.

64. I think that the fall of Rome was caused by decline in morals and values . There was lots of crime in the larger cities of the empire ; on the streets there was an estimated 32,000 prostitues in Rome during the reign of Trajan , which showed lots of people had little goals and decided to steal and lower themselves onto the streets .The emperors Caluga and Nero wasted money on huge parties which probably left little to no money for everyone else

65. In thought of The Fall of Rome is based on the Barbarian Invasions because the well disciplined Roman army was checkin on the barbarians of germany. Also, another reason that their borders were opened to attack so any one could come and ruin it.

66. The theory that I think that caused the fall of Rome is the Rise in Christianity. I think this because there was dramatic changes when pressure from the barbarians was increasing. The Christianity religion made its followers into Pacifists (people who oppose war). Which made it more difficult to defend the lands from barbarian attacks because the church’s had leaders that had talent that was needed to rule.

67. I think the Military one because it said their army lost their desire to defend the Empire. They couldn’t help defend their empire. So, they couldn’t protect them.

68. I think that The Fall of Rome was because of the environment and public health problems. the people ate and drank led and it made them sick. The death rates went up after the canales because they ate and drank it more.

69. I think that Rome fell from political corruption. rome did not have a successful proccess for choosing a new king. The soldiers from the armies would kill the kings making it nearly impossible for them to have one

70. One of the reasons that Rome fell is that they kept consuming lead. Each day the were slowly poisoning themselves little by little until they die

71. one way that led up to the fall of rome was that there pottery was made of led and they put water in the pottery

72. People of Rome consumed lead. The water pipes were made of lead which caused them to consume lead. The utensils were also made of lead.

73. the ten theories that the historians belived caused the fall of rome was Barbarian invations, Decline in Moralsana Values, Enviormental and health problems, Excessive Military spends to defend the empire

74. i chose the enviormentol and health problems because they did not have the supplies that we have today and they did not have cures to help sick people or diseases.

75. There were many reasons to the fall of Rome but I think the one theorie was when the guards who protected the empire ran away. After the guards leaving, the city had no protection. The barbarians saw their chance and invaded. The empire was not ready fully but they used all the protection they had. The roman empire then fell.

76. I think Rome fell because of inflation.Merchants and other stores and markets raised prices.At the time the amount of gold in coins decreased.Making coins less valuable.This may lead to more people becoming poor or less wealthy putting their environments down.

77. I believe that the barbarian invasions led to the fall of rome. While the soldiers were fighting in civil wars away from rome there was nobody defending rome so the roman boarder was left open to attack. Later on Germans began to attack rome started loosing land and soon the empire could not trade and stores began to close that what i think made rome to fall.

78. I think the rise of Christianity had a big part in the fall of Rome. They would oppose war. If an invasion were to happen how would the people protect themselves if they oppose war. All of there goods would be gone. They would have no money to have a good army,weapons,and food.